Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring is in Swing...


My tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants have made the giant step from indoor grow lights to greenhouse. I felt they were strong enough to be transplanted into larger pots and to take on actual sunlight and the less regulated temperatures of the greenhouse. There was a little drooping on the afternoon that they made the transition, but when I checked on them early the next morning, they were perky and doing great. Of course, you can't be too careful, so I made them a little safety tent with bird netting, to keep out little buggers like chipmunks and mice, and frost cloth, to keep out the night time chill and diffuse the sunlight. I moved the brassicas (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and kohlrabi) to the greenhouse last weekend and they are getting bigger and stronger everyday. They could be ready for the garden as early as next week!

The zinnias and snapdragons were ready for new pots and a semi-protected life in the greenhouse too. This year I planted Pink SeƱorita Zinnias and Apple Blossom Snapdragons. I guess I was in the mood for peaches and pinks when I purchased my seeds. 

The Dwarf Scottish Kale, Merlo Nero Spinach, and Extra Dwarf Pak Choi are doing well and have not been molested by any pests yet. I can hardly wait until i can make my first harvest. Fresh, home-grown greens in the spring is such a welcome taste. 

The cherry blossoms have started to pop open and look magnificent. The hellebores are in full flower, daffodils are creating a beautiful display, the checker lilies are slowly darkening to reveal their deep purple checks and the grape hyacinth are the most stunning shade of lavender-blue. Leaves are popping out on every tree and shrub. I really feels like spring now!

My next step will be to plant Cucumbers, Melons, Watermelons, String Beans and Squash under the grow lights and Beets and Peas directly in the garden. I am going to try soaking my peas in wet paper towels to get them to spout before I plant them. I haven't used that technique before, and am excited to see how it works out. I have had failures with planting peas directly in the past, so hopefully this will be the solution to my problem.

Things are happening fast now and it's so much fun. There's lots of work to do! See ya later...

PS: for more photos, check out http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc457/PittsburghGardener/


Toad Shade

No comments:

Post a Comment